PinkPantheress is the latest example of a creative connecting with an audience on TikTok. The 20-year old university student has been creating songs during her zoom classes (according to her TikTok) and has been uploading them for the world to enjoy. She is finding success here in New Zealand with her latest creation "Pain" popping into our Spotify Top 200.
Whether you're apart of the wave that already know who PinkPantheress is or if this is the first you've heard of her allow us here at The Rhythm to introduce you to who she is as we think she is one you should def have on your radar. Here are 7 facts about this new sensation.
1) She is from Bath, England. Bath is the largest city in the county of Somerset, England, known for and named after its Roman-built baths. It is one of the ten English cities visited most by overseas tourists.
2) Her stage name comes from one of her favourite films... The Pink Panther. Now we aren't sure what movie exactly, the original The Pink Panther was from 1963 with 9 sequels, all featuring Pink Panther in the title. There was also a reboot titled The Pink Panther from 2006 which also had a sequel in 2009 simply titled The Pink Panther 2. She also states that she heard a question on a show called The Chase: "What is a female panther called?" The answer is a Pantheress and it just stuck wit her.
3) She is not labeling her music as one genre or another. As we listened to some of her tracks there are some that certainly have a background in R&B and soul sounds while others def take on a alternative and electronic vibe.
I prefer free rein without worrying about the opinions of others around me.
4) She is a fan of My Chemical Romance. In fact they are her favourite artist. On a Instagram post she called the group "my heroes."
5) She is a fan of 2000s music. We can't be mad at her for that, the 2000s was certainly a good time for Hip Hop and R&B. A fan told PinkPantheress that her music gave them 2000s vibes and apparently that was just the ultimate compliment to her.
6) She makes her music at 3am in her university halls.
I have my uni work to do, and i didn't have the luxury of a recording studio or creative me-time."
7) Says she is bad with naming her songs. According to a TikTok post it was her followers/fans which gave her the name for her song "Passion."
8) Wants to make a song with Charlie XCX. PinkPantheress made a post at 2am with the caption "I know its 2am but you miss 100% of the shots you don't take" asking Charlie XCX to check out her audition tape in hopes of making a song with her. We'll be following to see if this desire of hers comes true.
There you have it, PinkPantheress, her social media posts are kind of jumbled with her face obscured and visuals bouncing around with random observations and improper spellings. Regardless of that her music is connecting with users and while a bit abstract (the songs average about a minute each) they are certainly a vibe and worth you checking out. We've got our eye on PinkPantheress to see what she fully develops into as an artist!